Dining with Antiques – Pyrex Casseroles
OK, so you may have a collection of antique kitchenware taking up a lot of space. Worthologist Liz Holderman, in a new column called “Dining with Antiques,” will introduce various kitchen and dining antiques, their histories and, most interestingly, how you can continue to use these pieces for their intended purposes. Liz kicks off the column with a piece about that all-American cookware—Corning Pyrex casserole dishes—telling the story of how they started sporting different designs and even offers up a vintage recipe to cook up something that Grandma might have tried. Bon appétit. Read”Dining with Antiques – Pyrex Casseroles”
Photo archives featured by historical society
Incorporated in 1971, the Thomaston Historical Society was organized to collect, promote and preserve material that illustrates the history of Thomaston; and to make it accessible for those who wish to study it. The society maintains and operates a…
A former Maine National Guard armory in South Portland is going to become a movie and television production studio and the developers hope to be able use it to entice more production companies to make movies in the state. The South Portland City Council voted unanimously…
Kevin Johnson, photo archivist for the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport, will be the featured speaker at the Thomaston Historical Society at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 10, at the Knox Farmhouse & Museum, 80 Knox St. His program, “Greetings from Thomaston: Selections from the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing…
The Sail, Power and Steam Museum will fire up the first lime kiln in Rockland in almost 100 years Saturday, May 7. At one time, as many as 150 kilns burned limestone day and night on the shores of Penobscot Bay. Rockland was the lime capital of the world, with nearly 100 kilns along the harbor. Limestone burned in the kilns was shipped all over the world to make cement.
Lead by stonecutter Joe Auciello, volunteers at the museum have constructed a working model lime kiln at the museum. The kiln will be fired by wood and is fashioned just as the kilns built in the late 19th century were, complete with two fire boxes and a draw pit at the bottom to extract the cooked stone.
The fire boxes were provided by Dragon Cement Co. and stone was provided by George Hall & Son and trucked in by Spears. A cement foundation was provided by Ferraiolo Concrete Products.
The first test firing of the model kiln will take place 11 a.m to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 7. Since there will be a fire, a hot dog roast also is planned.
The Sail, Power and Steam Museum is at 75 Mechanic St. For more information on the event, call 701-7627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Friends of Agamenticus Schoolhouse are pleased and gratified that the petition we circulated, which received more than 1100 certified signatures of York voters, will now have a chance to be acted upon at the spring town meeting. If approved, a fund of $200,000 would be made available for the preservation of the last remaining one room schoolhouse in the town.
The Camden Lions Club will present a nostalgic film clip from 1942 made by one of the members of the club at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 10, at the Camden Public Library. The film represents the town of Camden and nearby areas, with businesses and Lions Club members featured. Ken Libby shot the film in 1942 with a hand-held movie camera. Most of the clips are in black and white, but some are in color. Jack Williams narrates the film.
The film footage contains brief views of the Wadsworth Inn Tea Room, Packard’s Market, the 5 & 10, Marie’s Sweet Shop, Baldwin’s Dry Cleaners, the Simington Corner fire, the Lily Pond greenhouses and the downtown YMCA.
Robin Lee of the Camden Lions Club will host the evening. Bob Oxton will talk about the history of the star on Mt. Battie. Oxton and volunteers from the Lions Club install the star on the tower on Mt. Battie every Christmas season.
Home-baked refreshments will be provided by the Lions Club volunteers. The event is free and open to all.
FREEPORT — The annual spring gala and auction to benefit Wolfe’s Neck Farm will run from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday at the Harraseeket Inn.
Historical society program
The Cushing Historical Society will host a program at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 12, at its meeting house on Hathorn Point Road. The program is free and open to all. Speakers will be Joe Villania and Paulo Carvalho, co-trustees of the Musical Wonder House Museum in Wiscasset, and Richard Delano, a docent at the museum. They will present a history of mechanical musical instruments and display and demonstrate several examples of music box machinery from their collection.
The museum features more than 5,000 restored music boxes, player grand pianos and organs, spring-wound phonographs, musical birds, porcelains, clocks, and several musical paintings, demonstrated and displayed in opulent rooms furnished with period antiques and housed in a 32-room 1852 sea captain’s mansion.
The museum is open to the public in season for guided presentations. The year-round,
onsite staff is available to assist with repairs, restorations and written appraisals.
For more information, visit www.musicalwonderhouse.com or call 354-0735.
News from the Maine Historical Society
For many years the images in this exhibit, from McArthur Public Library in Biddeford, were believed to capture a party held to raise funds for World War I relief. In reality, the party was held by summer residents of Biddeford Pool to make amends to a group of local children who had been chased away as they tried to hang May baskets several months earlier. View the exhibit.
First Maine Memory Network Grants Awarded
Nine communities were recently awarded grants for projects related to Maine Memory Network. All will receive extensive training and support designed to help them develop the capacity to share collections and stories online. Awards are made to organizations in three categories: Digitization projects: Winslow Historical Preservation Committee; Online Exhibits: Cary Library (Houlton), New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport), L.C. Bates Museum (Hinckley), Maine’s First Ship (Phippsburg), and Maine Island Trail Association (Little Chebeague Island); and Maine Community Heritage Projects: Surry, Strong, and Swan’s Island. The next grant deadline is September 1. Encourage organizations in your community to apply! For full details on the program, click here.
Hours: Monday-Saturday: 10:30am-4pm and
(Tours leave on the hour. First tour Mon.-Sat. at 10:30am; first tour on Sun. at 12pm.)
SAVE THE DATE:
Saturday, June 4
MHS Annual Meeting and Dave Astor Reunion Show!
Additional programs added regularly. Visit our website for the