The Waterborough Historical Society will honor its volunteers to mark its 40th anniversary.
The Waterborough Historical Society has good reason to celebrate.
For the past 40 years, the nonprofit has worked to protect and preserve historic buildings that define its past.
To celebrate this anniversary, Jim Carll, a founder of the society, will give a presentation May 7 to highlight some of the group’s accomplishments and recognize the volunteers behind the society’s success.
The historical society has acquired several properties over the years. Most recently, the Deering School House was donated to the group in 2007. The one-room school is one of many examples that speaks to the group’s determination to preserve the history of the town, which was devastated by fires in 1911 and 1947.
A home for some history
The New Gloucester Historical Society is building a barn on Route 231 so it can display its collection.
The New Gloucester Historical Society’s collection is scattered across town, tucked away in the homes, garages and barns of residents determined to preserve its history.
An effort is under way to display the items under one roof. Construction will soon begin on the society’s history barn behind Town Hall on Route 231.
The barn will house items such as the popular 1909 horse-drawn glass hearse, a pung (a type of sleigh), a loom, uniforms from the fire department and old business signs. The new space will also be used to display an extensive collection of artifacts from the former Pineland Center, the Shaker Village and Opportunity Farm.
The Ski Museum of Maine, 109 Church St., has received a $1,000 grant from the H. King & Jean Cummings Fund of the Maine Community Foundation to support its ongoing digital slide presentation “Down-Mountain and Cross-Country: 140 Years of Skiing in Maine,” created by museum board member Scott Andrews.
For details, call 491-5481 or go to the Web site at www.skimuseumofmaine.org.
The Pejepscot Historical Society is seeking memorabilia for a new exhibit chronicling the history of the old Brunswick High School (1937-1995) on McKeen Street, to be razed this winter to make way for a new elementary school.
Exhibit organizers are seeking artifacts and stories detailing memories and history associated with the building.
For more information, call Brian Collins at 729-6606 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fifth Maine historian to give lecture
The original Civil War battle flag carried into action by the Fifth Maine Regiment now resides at its namesake memorial hall on Peaks Island in Casco Bay.
The Fifth Main, comprised of volunteer infantry, was one of the first Maine regiments to be mustered under President Lincoln’s call for troops in 1861. Fifteen hundred men from greater Portland answered the call and were dubbed the “Forest City” regiment.
On Monday, historian and Fifth Regiment museum director Kim MacIsaac will give a talk, “Away to Dixie — Maine in the Civil War,” at the Windham Historical Society on soldiers and the cultural, economic and political climate of Maine during the Civil War.
BANGOR, Maine — J. Normand Martin has volunteered to repaint the city’s now-famous Paul Bunyan statue four times during the past half-century. more
Maine Heritage Village ribbon cutting May 16
There’s a new lighthouse in town, but it’s not on the banks of the Sheepscot River. It’s right on Route 1, and it will have a waterfall inside that pours into a tank with 2,000 live lobsters in it.
Maine Memory Network to be topic of May 2 lecture
Kathy Amoroso, director of digital projects at the Maine Historical Society (MHS) in Portland, will speak at the Greater Portland chapter of the Maine Genealogical Society’s 1 p.m. meeting Saturday, May 2, at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Refreshments will be served at 12:30 p.m.
Amoroso will discuss the reopening of the MHS and what is new on the Memory Network, a statewide digital museum that has access to thousands of historical items. She will also offer tips on how best to use the Memory Network.
‘I Remember Cape’ series to start April 28
Cape Elizabeth photographer and writer Jan Reale-Hatem will present her popular series, “I Remember Cape Elizabeth: Senior Stories, Extraordinary Memories,” on Tuesdays, April 28, May 5, and May 19 at the Community Center. Participants can attend one or all sessions, which are free.
A member of the Cape Elizabeth Historical Preservation Society, Reale-Hatem encourages senior citizens to attend one or all three sessions to share personal stories about life in Cape Elizabeth. Participants, who are encouraged to bring a photograph to share, will have a chance to record memories on postcards she will provide, and which Reale-Hatem hopes to share with members of the Cape community down the road.
Light refreshments will be served at the sessions. Although there is no cost, Reale-Hatem encourages participants to register in advance through Community Services at 799-2868. Seniors who cannot attend sessions but wish to share memories about Cape Elizabeth are welcome to contact Reale-Hatem at 799-2457.
Edgecomb Historical Society will host the first in a series of lectures featuring Fort Edgecomb in the celebration of the Fort’s bicentennial.
The Wiscasset 250th anniversary committee met on Thursday evening to begin developing plans to celebrate the town’s semiquincentenial year. Plans include a 20 minute display of fireworks on February 13, marking the actual date that Wiscasset was incorporated as a town and a re-enactment of the first town meeting on June 25, 1760.
Special Events, Programs and Exhibits at the Museums of Old York
The Museums at Old York
2009 Decorator Show House: Before Tour Weekend
The Museums of Old York is hosting a Before Tour the first weekend of May at McIntire Farm, site of the 2009 Decorator Show House. See the 1920s farmhouse before it is transformed and return once it is completed in July to truly appreciate our creative and talented designers. The Before Tour will be heldMay 2 and 3 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. On-sight parking is available and a donation of $5 is requested. For more information, visit www.oldyork.org.
Directions to McIntire Farm
From 1-95, take exit 7 and merge onto the spur road, heading towards U.S. route 1. Go right on U.S. route 1 South. At the third set of traffic lights, turn right onto Route 91 — Cider Hill Road. McIntire Farm is located at 270 Cider Hill Road, approximately 2 1/2 miles on the left. Parking is available in the field adjacent to the farmhouse.
Wanted: Show House Volunteers
The Annual Decorator Show House is possible because of the work of many dedicated designers and visual artists, a corps of more than 300 volunteers, and the support of museum members and the community. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Show House Chair Carol Coles at email@example.com.
Museums of Old York | 207 York Street | P.O. Box 312 | York, ME 03909 | (207) 363-4974
Posted: 21 Apr 2009 06:40 PM PDT
Source: Boston Globe (4-21-09)
When the mysterious first shot rang out around dawn yesterday, it was just like that fateful day 234 years before on the Lexington Green, except the gray-haired men squaring off looked a lot older than their ancestral combatants. There was also no blood and a lot of fake groaning, as well as sleep-deprived neighbors, history buffs, and members of the news media with cameras to chronicle every drumbeat. The annual reenactment of the Battle of Lexington has spawned its own traditions and veterans, with their own ahistorical gripes.
“A lot of us put considerable money and effort into this, and everybody still forgets about what the meaning of Patriots’ Day is all about,” said Tom Balcom, 47, of Melrose, whose redcoat paraphernalia cost him more than $1,200 and countless hours of training. “They think they get the day off because of the marathon. Well, it’s a lot more than a bunch of people lining up for a run. This is a big deal.”
After all the fireworks and garbled shouting during the mock attack – the real one in 1775 sparked the Revolutionary War and led to the creation of the United States – Balcom left formation and marched toward his car in a wool waistcoat, bearskin hat, and white breeches, the smell of sulfur still spewing from his Brown Bess. The six-year veteran of the reenactments, a history buff who served as staff sergeant in the US Army, said he does not mind playing the enemy, adding that he is considering expanding his portfolio to play a Nazi in an upcoming reenactment of a World War II battle.